Tuesday, June 9, 2009

How does your garden grow?


Stephens garden '09 has been in the ground for several weeks now. This year (largely due to the fact that my husband is WONDERFUL!) we have tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, bush green beans, eggplant, yellow squash, zucchini (look for mysteriously placed bags of them on your doorstep in late summer as we desperately try to unload them), cucumber & okra, which Mark insisted on planting despite the gagging noises I made...ew.


Our garden is multi purpose this year. Not only do I anticipate many meals full of lovely organic veggies, but I am anxiously awaiting the wonderful feeling that I get when I watch my smiling little boy munch cherry tomatoes right from the vine. This, in my opinion, is one of lifes most wonderful pleasures.


This year our garden is also going to be used as bait. You see, the last time my sister paid me a summertime visit (from gorgeous Huntington Beach where the average annual temperature seems to be around 73 degrees), we had a heat wave. With temperatures that hovered between 99-104 degrees every single day & humidity levels that felt to be around 4 million, Stephanie SWORE that she would never, EVER step foot in Delaware during the summertime again. Ever. If it hadn't been her love of my homegrown tomatoes (you see where I am going with this, right?!) I don't think she would have found any redeeming outdoor qualities about Delaware at all. So keep your fingers crossed that I can keep the garden watered, weeded & safe from from the bunnies, deer & other various local critters so maybe my sister will come see me.


Hopefully I soon will post a picture of us enjoying our first tomato sandwiches of the season, and with any luck, my sister will be in the picture.

No comments: